[TowerTalk] New To ME US Towers HDX-555- advice needed

Rick Stealey rstealey at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 23 16:06:15 EDT 2015

I'll start this thing thing off with an opinion based on my experience doing several things to my TX472 last year.
The raising fixture cable is less likely to need attention than the lift cables, but in both cases look at the surface of them and check for rust that is enough to deteriorate the outer strands.  Light surface rust is ok.
To replace lift cables you can buy from US Towers if you are independently wealthy.  Or you can buy cable, and a swaging tool and make your own for half the price and have a $90 tool to add to your collection to boot.
While the tower is horizontal, take a crowbar and slightly move the sections a few inches to relax the lift cables.  Now this is the most crucial test you can make.  Check that every pulley turns freely.  If any don't turn, the cable will be so hard to move over them that your motor will stall, or the gearbox will fail - disasterville.  I had 7 frozen pulleys, motor blowing fuses.
On the motor, on mine the starting capacitor was inside a little bubble mounted on the motor housing, but the motor was mounted upside down, so water could flow down around the motor and rust out the housing.  Replace the cap, they cost $5.  I mounted my cap in the .... whatever you call it..... the electrical box.

That will get you started on your fun project.  Good luck.

Rick  K2XT

Sorry the whole message is attached.  Hotmail wont let me edit it.  Dont know why.