[TowerTalk] New To ME US Towers HDX-555- advice needed

K7LXC--- via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Fri Apr 24 12:28:55 EDT 2015

>  Specifically, I am wondering about the cables. Should the  cable on the
raising fixture be replaced?

    Probably not.

>  Should I replace or service the lift cables in any way?

    Probably not. I've worked on dozens of  crank-ups and am a US Tower
Factory authorized installer and I've never seen a  cable that was so bad that
it should have been replaced immediately. I'll  surmise that your cables are
good for years. The reasons to replace a cable are  cancerous rust,
excessive broken strands or damage to the cable. I doubt you  have any of those.
There's a whole chapter in my UP THE TOWER book on crank-ups.  It's worth
reading.

>  Any advice about PM for the raising motor  assembly?

    Just your basic PM - grease the zerk  fittings. And lubing the cables
with some PreLube 6 (available from  championradio.com).

>   Should switches (limit, raising, etc) be  changed?

    No. If it ain't broke - don't fix  it.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs
and
Champion Radio Products
Cell: 206-890-4188