[TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole

Wes Attaway (N5WA) wes at attawayforensics.com
Sat Apr 25 16:50:54 EDT 2015

Without getting into a never-ending discussion of "which antenna is
best", I would suggest that you consider just dropping 3 or 4 feet of
each end straight down so that the remaining horizontal length will fit
in your available space.  Most of the current is at the center so
performance is not much affected (if any).

I am limited to wires at my house and I do have a lot of trees.  I have
tried a number of variations of wire antennas.  One of my best
performing antennas is an 80-Meter dipole with about 23' of each end
dropped straight down.  Iy is up about 70'.  I have it fed with 450-ohm
line through a 4:1 balun down on the ground and then coax to the house.
Whatever the SWR is in the shack the Orion tuner "tunes it" and it works
on all bands 80 through 10. I am NOT claiming this is the greatest
antenna in the world, but it works extremely well.

In any event, before you run out a buy a new antenna I would recommend
that you try dropping the ends enough to allow your existing antenna to
fit your space.