[TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Apr 25 20:55:05 EDT 2015

On Sat,4/25/2015 5:42 PM, Larry Loen wrote:
> The main thing with the fan dipole, especially in a one man assemble and
> deploy, is to make very sure the wires don't cross.

Yes, that's important. If you read the links that I posted, you'll see
how to do that quite easily.

I build them on the ground. Start with the longest element (in this
case, 40M), and rig it complete between two points that are 4-6 ft off
the ground. As you rig it, put the spacers on that long element. Now,
add the shorter elements above and below the long element. As with all
resonant antennas, cut them a bit long, hoist them as close as practical
to the final height, note resonant frequencies, put them down and tweak
their lengths. When you're happy with that, finish them up mechanically.
Tune the longer elements first. The shortest element is the narrowest
SWR bandwidth, so it requires the greatest attention.

73, Jim K9YC