[TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Sun Apr 26 13:58:16 EDT 2015

If you use a G5RV, the simplest way to get improved signal strength
reports is to announce that you are using something else ;)

This from W8JI:

    On The Air Testing

One of the only ways to reliably test an HF antenna is a blind A-B
comparison against another known good reference antenna. Since I also
had a dipole at 100 feet a few hundred feet away from the G5RV (similar
height), I had an ideal testing situation.

      Blind Test

I checked into various groups on 75 meters and did a blind A B antenna
test. I would say "this is antenna one one one, this is antenna two two
two" while switching antennas. The results were:

 1. Nearly ALL of the reports indicated NO difference in signals! (58
    equal reports)
 2. When a difference in signal was reported, about equally split either
    the full size dipole or G5RV would win. (7 G5RV better, 9 dipole
    better)

      Announced Tests

I also did tests that called the antennas by name. I would say "This is
the the G5RV,G5RV, G5RV. This is the dipole, dipole, dipole". The
results were rather revealing.

 1. When I would call each antenna by the correct name, the G5RV was
    reported "weaker" or with "poorer audio" or some other negative
    comment more than 80% of the time. The remaining stations reported
    no difference!
 2. When I would call each antenna by the /*opposite name*/, the antenna
    I was calling the G5RV was /*still reported*/ in some negative
    context about 80% of the time. The remaining percentage again
    reported no real difference.

Full story on Tom's web site:
http://www.w8ji.com/g5rv_facts.htm

Steve G3TXQ