[TowerTalk] Measuring the resistance of ferrite

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 28 10:06:19 EDT 2015

On 4/28/15 6:56 AM, Bob Good wrote:
> Other than using the sales / technical literature,  how can I measure
> the resistance of ferritecore or beads to ensure that I have the
> recommended 5000 ohms resistance?

If you have a R/X meter or VNA or antenna analyzer or similar.. you can
wind a few turns of wire through the core and measure the R and X vs
frequency.

Jim's RFI-Ham pdf has some examples.

#31 is very good for lots of HF applications.  But it is not available
in as many physical form factors (I use 2.4" diameter toroidal cores for
everything, and they're definitely available in #31)

Every manufacturer has their own numbering/coding scheme, although a lot
of people use Fair-Rite's numbers (73, 31, etc.) are FairRite numbers.

Of course, there's no guarantee that a #50 core from Mfr A is going to
be the same as a #50 core from Mfr B.  If you are faced with a box of
cores of unknown origin (e.g. no data sheet with them), then you're
really stuck unless you just measure them.

There are an enormous number of ferrite cores out there intended for RFI
management at VHF frequencies from the consumer electronics industry,
and they show up surplus all the time.

  I gather that the resistance is