[TowerTalk] Antennas in trees

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Sun Aug 2 09:18:58 EDT 2015

Arrows and tennis balls are prone to hanging up in trees.  I have had
better luck with fairly large (an ounce or what ever you cast well) lead
fishing weights, the teardrop streamlined ones.  I can cast one of these
completely over a pretty large tree so that the weight doesn't have to
come down through the middle of the tree.  I then remove the weight and
tie on a small rope (1/4 inch) and pull that over the tree to use to
pull a larger rope if needed.  Black UV stabilized HD fishing line as
sold by Walmart for juglines and trot lines is good and long lasting in
a sunny environment. It is a good line to leave in the tree to
hold/connect to the antenna or strain insulator if you prefer.

It is good self defense to use a pulley on the end of the rope with a
weight to set the tension in the antenna.  This will accommodate the
motion of the tree in winds.

I have seen (but not done it myself) a powerful slingshot used to shoot
the weight over the tree.  Requires good alignment of the slingshots
initial trajectory with the open faced spinning reel but got the job
done. I don't think it was his first rodeo.

Walmart is currently selling carbon fiber arrows for 45-70 lb pull in 31
inch draw length for $3 each.  I bought and have used 15 lately.  A
couple nocks came off but could be slipped back on with a small drop of
alphacyanoacrylate anerobic adhesive AKA super or crazy glue. They have
some aluminum shaft arrows for even less. (Price is USD last week but
Canadian should be comparable.)

I have been successful with bow and arrow but found you need to back
away from the tree so as to shoot less vertically and not have the arrow
falling down through the middle of the tree.

Good luck!

Patrick       NJ5G