[TowerTalk] LMR600 up to the top of tower ?

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Sun Aug 2 09:59:32 EDT 2015

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 17:43:18 -0700
From: Robert Harmon <k6uj at pacbell.net>
To: "<towertalk at contesting.com>" <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LMR600 up to the top of tower ?

I have a 380 foot coax run to the top section of my motorized tower when it is fully extended.

I am changing out all my old RG213 and thinking of saving a few db by going to LMR600 up to the top section then
LMR400UF up from there for the rotor loop and up to the 40 meter beam and triband/warc beam on the mast.
What do you think of LMR600 for this run from the shack up to the top section for a motorized tower ?
When I lower the tower I am thinking I could coil the LMR600 into maybe 5 foot diameter coils on the ground.
BTW the tower is 90 feet to the top of the top section when all the way up.
Is this a bad idea ?  (I am hoping to avoid the cost of the flex LMR600UF if I can.)
A side issue is I understand I have to be very careful not to nick the copper clad on the center conductor
when installing a connector on the non flex LMR600.   I would use the Davis PL259 connectors for LMR600.   Anyway maybe this usage of the
LMR600 is not a good idea, what do you think ?

Bob
K6UJ

##  How does 380 feet of rg-213 even begin to work  on
7-30 mhz ??   You just lost it right there..both on RX and TX.

That cellflex, made by RFS..and sold by davis RF, is the
real ticket.  All the rage with the cell companies in india and asia.
Consist of corrugated AL shield and a corrugated  CU center
conductor.  Super flexible vs andrews  hollow cu center tube.
The corrugated AL shield is only one third the weight of CU.

You end up with heliax that is cheap, flexible..and light weight.
Comes in .875 and 1.125 inch sizes.  Check it out.  Loss is the same
as the CU shield version.   I have 100 feet of LMR-600UF.... the outer
jacket is like pure rubber.   The version I have is called T-com UF-600.
Consist  of 26 strands instead of the usual 7 strands.    This stuff is
beyond super flexible..as in 3 times more flexible than 213.  Just like
spagetti.    Ok for indoor use, but the rubber jacket is prone to nicks etc.
id use it up a tower...and if re-enforced a bit with that split loom stuff..also
use it for a rotor loop etc.
At least use some bigger coax from shack to base of tower....like regular
LMR-600DB..or .5 inch heliax...or better yet... .875 inch heliax..like the RFS
stuff.

Jim   VE7RF