[TowerTalk] Antennas in trees

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Aug 2 12:03:52 EDT 2015

On Sat,8/1/2015 4:03 PM, ve4xt at mymts.net wrote:
> I have no problem getting the line over a nice, tall branch but the arrow and tennis ball get caught up on the way back down.

Here's a useful tool that my Chicago ham club bought and loaned to members.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIitgJ0M5dk

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Big-Shot-Standard-Kit#.Vb47__lVhBc

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Sherrill-Throwbag#.Vb47W_lVhBc

http://www.sherrilltree.com/BIG-SHOT-Line-Reel#.Vb48NPlVhBc

You will occasionally lose weights. Fishing weights can be used to
launch the line, but their visibility is poor, so they're hard to find.

Here's the other popular product, clearly the best. K2RD brought his to
my QTH soon after I moved here and cleared the top of a 175' redwood on
his first shot.

You can buy replacement weights for both products. Some trees are much
worse than others for snagging them. The smaller and smoother they are,
the less likely the weights are to snag. It's often possible to "worry"
the line back and forth to clear branches.

73, Jim K9YC