[TowerTalk] Antennas in trees

Ron W8RJL youngron at verizon.net
Mon Aug 3 00:58:03 EDT 2015

Kelly
If you want to stick with bow and arrow I have quite a bit of experience
using that before I went to compressed air launch.
First, go to the store and buy a ball or football shaped lead sinker, the
kind with a hole thru the center with a wire thru the hole (about the size
of the end joint on your little finger). Cut the wire and pull out to leave
an empty hole. Next get a drill bit just slightly bigger than a 6-32 machine
screw and drill out the sinker hole so a 6/32 machine screw will slide thru
the hole. While at Wal-Mart buy the longest aluminum arrow they have. Screw
off the conical tip and you will see the arrow is tapped for 6/32 screw. Get
a 6/32 machine screw long enough to go thru the weight and engage the
threads in the end of the arrow. Now that you have your arrow prepared for
launch I would recommend tying your fishing line behind the lead weight
(between weight and arrow tip). That has been my set up and I have never
lost an arrow. I did have one arrow that stayed in a tree over night but was
on the ground the next day so it is good to have a spare arrow. The arrow
does spin and thus will tend to twist the monofilament line. it will reduce
the accuracy but you might want to adjust the feathers for minimum spin of
arrow in flight. NEVER try to pull the arrow back across the limbs, if it
appears to be hang-up just twitch the line and let the arrow fall to the
ground. Remove arrow, reel in line, attach arrow to line and try again.

My air launch system  http://www.akbeng.com/   uses a weighted tennis ball
(total weight 4 oz) and it always comes right down plus if it ever hits
anything there is less chance of damage.

73, Ron W8RJL
.