[TowerTalk] LMR-600 end connector, M or F ?

Richard Thorne rthorne at rthorne.net
Wed Aug 5 21:23:07 EDT 2015

I tried N female barrels for bulkheads and didn't feel they made a good
connection.  I planned on installing them on grounding brackets at the
top and bottom of the tower.  After installed in the ground
bracket(http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-cgb-150), one side didn't
seem to make a good solid connection to the N Male connector as it was a
bit too short.

After researching and trying a few connectors I settled on the following:

- N Male connectors for the LMR-600
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUICK-TYPE-10-Packs-N-male-crimp-connector-1-2-LMR-600-CA600-RF-Coaxial-Cable-/131217432221?
These are self captivating on the center conductor and crimp around the
shield.

- N Female to PL-259 adapters
https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=94997

At HF I don't think there's much loss to be concerned about with the
adapters.  I'm using stack match's and poly phaser's that already were
setup with SO-239's which is the reason for the adapters.  If I was
starting from scratch on all of the devices I would try to go N all the way.

W9AC will probably chime in on the barrel's and I would trust his
suggestions.

Rich - N5ZC