[TowerTalk] LMR-600 end connector, M or F ?

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Aug 6 01:37:14 EDT 2015

I use what ever is appropriate.  The "Best Connectors" are 7-16 DIN.
Good Amphenol and Times Wirer N connectors are reasonably priced if you
must go with N or F.  I view F connectors on the end of LMR600 as a waste.

Male Vs female.  I keep both as well as the good quality N bulkhead
connectors which are usually female. N-type connectors have a problem
with center pin migration.  I always add a one or two turn loop at twice
the repeatable bend radius just prior to the connector (top and bottom)
on vertical runs of 50 feet or more.  One turn on 50 feet, two turns on
longer runs.  Typically on long, horizontal runs that will require
splices it's male one end and female the other. That way it only takes
two connectors for a splice.  There are drawbacks to this so it's not an
approach for everyone  As I usually purchase connectors in 25, 50, and
100 lots I keep a supply of the main types.  I run SO2R with 6-packs and
remote antenna switches.  With complete stations in the house and shop,
SO2R means a LOT of connectors.  I did use N-Type for HF, but I was
losing connectors due to voltage. (Lightening, or SWR and Power?) I
don't know.  They looked good, tested good with an ohm meter, but were
shorted at 100W of RF.  I don't have a Megger (sp?).  If I can find some
good 7-16 connectors at a reasonable price, I will convert as time,
weather, finances, and physical abilities permit.

UHF for LMR-600 are usually quite pricey.  Less expensive usually have
problems.  I had some really nice, inexpensive ones, but the ends broke
off with very little side pressure.

I know someone sent me a link for the 7-16 DIN connectors, but I can't
find it.  7-16! That's the inner and outer connectors size in mm

Neither N, no F would be among my primary choices. As to where you use
male, female, and bulkhead connectors/splices, that's pretty much a
personal choice.  I like the idea of captive center pins on center
connectors, but not non standard connectors.  I prefer standard brand
names  although I've had problems with Amphenol. (missing threads and
UHF center pins only partially there).  I have found, silver plated
brass imports that appeared to be as good in UHF, but consistency can be
a problem.  China actually makes some good stuff and they also make
trash.  They are primarily a cottage industry as was Japan some years ago.
But as long as hams are willing to buy cheap, junk connectors to save a
dime or a buck, they will continue to make junk.  They make some good
tubes, for legal limit amps, but be careful of NOS versions of the same
tubes and who made them.

In the early days, we were relegated to using military surplus which was
cheap and available in barrels full of high quality parts, transmitters
and receivers even through the 60s and into the 70s, but no more.  Good
quality tubes(valves) were cheap and plentiful.   Oops, wandering OT.

73

Roger  (K8RI)

On 8/5/2015 7:42 PM, Robert Harmon wrote:
> I will be adding Bury Flex pigtails to the end of my LMR-600 runs.
> I will get adapters from the EZ-600 connectors to the PL-259's on the Bury Flex.
> What do you prefer for your LMR-600 end connectors, female or male or does it make any difference ?
> I thought this might be a dumb question but will ask anyway, hihi.
>

> 73,
> Bob
> K6UJ

Roger (K8RI)