[TowerTalk] Silver Solder

charlie at thegallos.com charlie at thegallos.com
Fri Aug 7 16:44:45 EDT 2015

<snip>> For lightning protection (or any high current application), solder
seems
> to me to be a very poor choice.  Solder, including silver solder, almost
> invariably will be the highest resistance element (and the weakest
> thermally) in the system and will act like an explosive fuse if it takes
> a hit.  As Jim says, clamps or welds are the way to go for this.
>
> 73,
> Dave   AB7E

Dave, you are confusing "soft" silver solder with "Hard" silver solder aka
silver brazing, which is explicitly allowed by the NEC.  Most places don't
do it, because Cadwelds are easier, but ask the local engineer at the say
AM radio station how they connect their grounds, or the local cell guy how
they attach ground straps - yep, call in some guy with a welding torch and
some real silver solder