[TowerTalk] Wire Antenna In A Tree

Chester Alderman aldermant at windstream.net
Fri Aug 7 19:40:24 EDT 2015

What is needed is getting the 'mad' media folks to understand what a 'drone'
really is. These four rotor, very small quadcopters do not even resemble a
'drone'! Media dummies picked up the word 'drone' because it caused
excitement and readership. A quadcopter is two foot wide, four prop
helicopter, battery operated and good ones can stay in the air for only 20
to 25 minutes before the battery is depleted. It typically has a flight and
video range of less than 3/4 mile. It is a TOY -- not a Drone. A military
drone is driven by an engine or a jet; it can take videos and launch
rockets, etc., it typically can stay in the air for many hours.

So yes, a QUADCOPTER is a toy four rotor device that can be used to drop
lines over or into a tree top and should do that very well. I use one of
mine for inspecting my tower, rotor, and yagi's.  I worked for an
electronics firm in Virginia that were developing the first drones,
propelled with lawn mower engines, quadcopters do not even come close to
resembling a military drone.

73,
Tom - W4BQF