[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Tower grounding connections and foundation

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sat Aug 8 11:02:16 EDT 2015

> "Then there is the "default" - 10 ohms - maybe one ground rod and 18 gauge
wire?  Hilarious!

Not too hilarious on the day we were driving 24 ft. rods with a hammer drill
just to get under 10-ohms in the sandy soil of North Florida.  Repeated 4
times to get below that target.   Two 8. ft rods spaced 16 ft. and connected
together with #2 copper gets you to maybe 50-60 ohms here.

I can see why the G spec also requires 10-ft rods.   We saw an asymptotic
effect when adding more and more 8 ft. rods.  The 24 ft rods allowed us to
reach the goal line.  We went from about 30 ohms with many 8 ft. rods to 10
ohms with just one 24 ft. rod.  The end result was about  5 ohms as measured
with a clamp-on earth tester with the four 24 ft. rods placed at the shack
EGB, each of the two tower bases, and in between each tower.

That said, I do agree there's often a lot of "spec polishing" in the trades.
For example, why is that a 3/4" PVC emergency drain pan line for my hot
water heater was fine in 2001, but then local code increased it to 1" the
next time it was replaced?  Then code required 1-1/4 just recently with the
last heater change.  Just how hard is it to figure how big is a "big enough"
line for a drain pan?  In 4-5 years, will that change to 1-1/2"?

Paul, W9AC