[TowerTalk] Static Discharge Porcupines?

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Sat Aug 8 12:19:12 EDT 2015

My quick literature search showed the US Navy and others tested the ESD
(Electrostatic Dissipation devices AKA porcupines) and found them to not
reduce the frequency or number of lightning strikes on their test
structures.

Seems counter-intuitive to me but I can't argue with their results as I
have no experimental results to the contrary.  From what I read the
porcupines can't handle the currents required to prevent the charge
building up and having a strike.

I'm sure folks in the business of selling protective devices put the
best face on their product as possible but...

In my early years I was taught that lightning rods were to prevent a
strike by draining off the charge preventing a build up sufficient to
make for a strike and to be well grounded with low resistance-low
inductance paths to ground in case they took a strike. Oh well,
empiricism trumps theory and or wishful thinking.

Patrick       NJ5G