[TowerTalk] Tower grounding connections and foundation (Shawn Donley)

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 8 18:15:06 EDT 2015

I'm a researcher prologue that the National Severe Storms Lab in Norman, OK. There's a fair bit of lightning research done here, mainly on the physics of lightning. I know a few of the guys that do the research though I'm not involved in any of it. That said, I'm not sure where hundreds of thousands of amps number comes from. The highest-current strikes are single-stroke positive flashes. They tend to peak around 50 kA or so. I'm not sure what the distribution of peak current looms like, but 100 kA is rare. According to Martin Uman's book, only about 6% of all flashes produce currents larger than 60 kA; the median peak current is 15 kA and the highest current recoded was 218 kA. While these numbers are admittedly old, they are certainly representative.

Kim N5OP

"People that make music together cannot be enemies, at least as long as the music lasts." -- Paul Hindemith