[TowerTalk] Silver Solder

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Aug 8 18:51:43 EDT 2015

On 8/7/2015 2:25 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

For grounding, safety or lightening, I avoid mechanical connections like
the plague.  Much depends on the soil PH, but here, I've never had a
mechanical clamp last a year, including the ones installed by the
electricians to "meet code" on the panel ground.

With their history, at close to a year, I dug up the 3 ground
connections for the 200A panel.  I was able to slide all 3 clamps up and
down the ground rods.  They were actually loose.  These were clamps that
were accepted by the electrical inspector who told me they were plenty
good enough as they wouldn't fail.   We are right on the edge of an area
that has a high concentration of peat.

 From Wikipedia : *Brazing* is a metal
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal>-joining process in which two or
more metal items are joined together by melting and flowing a filler
metal <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filler_metal> into the joint, the
filler metal having a lower melting point than the adjoining metal.
Brazing differs from welding <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welding> in
that it does not involve melting the work pieces and from soldering
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering> in using higher temperatures
for a similar process, while also requiring much more closely fitted
parts than when soldering. The filler metal flows into the gap between
close-fitting parts by capillary action
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capillary_action>. The filler metal is
brought slightly above its melting (liquidus
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidus>) temperature while protected by
a suitable atmosphere, usually a flux
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux_%28metallurgy%29>. It then flows
over the base metal (known as wetting) and is then cooled to join the
work pieces together.^[1]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazing#cite_note-Groover-1> It is
similar to soldering <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering>, except
the temperatures used to melt the filler metal are higher for brazing. A
major advantage of brazing is the ability to join the same or different
metals with considerable strength."

A large area silver solder/brazed joint (done properly) should require
no additional mechanical force for strength.  A one inch Copper strap
silver brazed to copper sheet of the same thickness should be strong
enough that the copper would tear before the solder/brazing would give
way. Where the copper is heated just shy of glowing, it will become
"dead soft", making the copper the weak mechanical link.

I always use exothermic welds under grade if possible..

Having worked with a lot of grounding in industry, "a long time ago"  (I
quit in 87) I think you will find that most Silver Solder, whether it's
solder or brazing, (many boxes list it as Silver Solder) is lower
resistance than the copper..  Be that as it may, Silver soldering, or
brazing is working near the melting point of copper.  It takes a
relatively large, but soft flame to heat a relatively large area to the
melting point of the rod/stick.  Still the silver solder, like all
solder will tend to flow toward the location where the heat is applied.
This applies what ever the solder and heat source, be it flame, iron, or
gun so keep that in mind when doing any soldering or brazing.

I do not use lead free solder except under grade and there I use the
exothermic bonds if the connection will support it.  It has been my
experience, that RHOS solder (lead free)  has been the primary source of
problems in commercial equipment as in headphone connections on TV sets.
That's the only problem we've had with today's TV sets. As they were
under warranty, the fix was free and the repairman's experiences with
RHOS solder paralled mine, although he had many more experiences than I
with RHOS solder. He used good old 60/40 solder.

73

Roger (K8RI)