[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Concrete Anchors

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Fri Aug 14 15:24:39 EDT 2015

I agree it would be better to use the existing anchors and make an
adapter plate.  Drilling new holes, deep enough, with unknown rebar
locations, and precise enough locations will be challenging.  You can
rent the biggest hammer drill but the bits will cost $100+ ea. Hit
enough rebar and you will need more than one bit.  Drilling truly
vertical and in position will be difficult.  Epxoy anchoring is easy
with a clean hole and anchor, see the Simpson Strong Tie catalog for a
gun, 2 part anchoring epoxy, and self mixing nozzles. Costs - drill
rental $50, 2 bits $250, epoxy gun $75, epoxy $60, anchors $100 = > $500

Here are the 589 base dimensions - you have the anchors in place so know
the T dimensions

The T is 1/2 x 8" plate, I can't tell if the cross to the vertical is
butt welded or if it is cut to a T ;-).  If UST were making a batch, a
waterjet job of parts nested on a 4x8' sheet might be the way to go.
The two forward (hinge) bolt areas are doubled with a 1/2x9x9"
reinforcement plate edge welded all around
the vertical of the T is reinforced on top with two 2x1" channels about
2" apart and skip welded, open on the ends for HDG Zn drainage. I think
these are there for the raising fixture stresses, not important
otherwise, given how close the base flanges are to the anchor bolts.  Or
perhaps the T is butt welded and these were welded on first to keep the
T flat, a good idea (underneath) if you weld up the T.
the base to tower leg angles are 4x4x1/2 x 15" drilled 7/8 for the leg
bolts (A325 )
the base bolts are 1 1/8, 6x

I think a 3/8" thick T will do for a 55' tower, it is what I have seen
on them.  costs: 10' of 3/8 x 8" A36 HRS $110, you probably don't need
the channel with the base you have bolted onto the new T,
welding/shearing/punching $200?

Nothing very hard about this for a fab shop except you measuring and
them  punching the holes (maybe 1 1/4" diameter for the existing
anchors) in the right places.

Others have coveraged HDG vs paint, I didn't grout my 589 bases after I
saw what it did to a base galvanizing of another UST.  Just keep the
underneath clean of debris.

Grant KZ1W