[TowerTalk] Ground Rod Replacement

Tony dxdx at optonline.net
Sun Aug 16 03:01:17 EDT 2015

*John:*
> Does corrosion make them not effective? John KK9A

*That's a  good question. **
**
**It's my understanding that the reason for copper plating a ground rod
is to prevent the deterioration of the rods steel core. Why bother with
protective coatings if a slowly deteriorating rod is just as effective
as a new rod?

In my case, I have no way of knowing if the pitting found on the first
foot of the rod isn't much worse down further so wouldn't it be best to
either dig up one of the rods or simply replace them?

Tony
**
*