[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Tilt Over Cable Replacement

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon Aug 17 20:08:30 EDT 2015

For that price, I'd go with UST.  However, most every local wire rope
supplier terminates the wire ropes they supply and many areas have
multiple suppliers.  google wire rope for your community.  I had a
replacement cable made here for an LM354 at West Coast Wire Rope.
Nicopress is the cheapest/simplest, but 1/4" and larger DIY tools are
pricey.  I absolutely don't use the two bolt swagers. There is also a
gage made to insure the Nicopress sleeve is properly compressed and one
sometimes comes with a lever tool.  It's important to use a sleeve
compatible with the cable being terminated.

IMO, if there are any areas of general surface rust on galvanized 7x19
you are at or near the end of the service life for a cable holding up a
tower.

Grant  KZ1W