[TowerTalk] How to attach a 25/45 ginpole to HDBX Tower?

Paul Ferguson Paul at PaulFerguson.us
Mon Aug 24 17:57:31 EDT 2015

I have put up 6 sections of HDBX-48 twice at different locations. Each
time my gin-pole was a thick wall 15-foot-long steel pipe about 1.25
inches in outside diameter. It was held in place at the crossings of
the tower X-braces.

On the bottom of the pole, I used a sturdy S-hook inserted into the
pole and secured by a clamp around the pole and the S-hook. The piece
of the S-hook not inside the pipe catches on an X-brace at the middle.
About 8-10 feet up, I clamp the pole to an X-brace with a U-bolt around
the middle of the brace and pole.

You need to be careful not to exert too much force on the X-braces, but
they seem to be more than strong enough to support a person standing on
one of them. The heaviest antenna I have pulled up is a 3-el SteppIR
weighing 50 lbs.

On the top of the pole I secured a climbing pulley. It is important not
to have any lateral force on the pole because it could bend it. I run
the rope from the pulley at the pole top down the tower to another
pulley attached to the tower near the bottom. This allows the ground
crew to pull straight out and stand out of the path of anything that
might fall.

The pole I use is longer than it needs to be to put up my beam, but the
extra length is useful when using the pole to erect sections of the
tower. You could make it much shorter and easier to handle if not
installing tower sections.

73,
Paul
K5ESW