[TowerTalk] How many tower sections i can install??

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Wed Aug 26 11:22:05 EDT 2015

Hi Douglas, you can achieve a a greater guy point distance by using four
guys instead of three. You would not want the guy to guy angle to exceed 120
degrees in any case.

Your roof dimensions would allow guy to guy angles of 120, 60, 120 and 60
degrees. With the tower mounted in the center of the roof and assuming the
anchors are at the edge of the roof, a guy to guy angle of 120 degrees,  the
distance would be 20.0 ft to the anchor. The distance between anchors
would be 34.6 ft, 20 ft, 34.6 ft and 20 ft.

So, in this case, you could guy the tower a couple of ft below the top and
three 10ft sections would have a anchor/height ratio of 66.66%.

We typically use an 80% ratio mainly because that is the number Rohn
specifies for all of their tower models. It is a good compromise between load
capacity and space required.

Considering that these towers are used up to 180ft in height or more, it is
 reasonable to move anchor points inward for reduced heights. The issue in
doing  this is that Rohn has no published data for doing this. The wind load
rating has  to be reduced and it takes engineering skills to properly do
the calculations.  It is not rocket science however.

I would be concerned about possible roof damage as much as the tower  surviv
al. It is conceivable that using the roof edge as a turning point for the
guy and then a ground anchor would be stronger. Something else that would
benefit from an engineers blessing.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 8/25/2015 9:14:22 P.M. Central Daylight Time,