[TowerTalk] How many tower sections i can install??

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Aug 27 15:10:58 EDT 2015

A cautionary (and perhaps encouraging) tale. In the 70's, the Department
of State ARC had three sections of Rohn 25 on the 8th story roof of an
office building in downtown DC, with a Mosley CL-36 on top.  All blithe
and ignorant, we did not pierce the roof for any kind of a base at all -
instead we just guyed the base of the tower parallel to the flat roof,
to the same points where the guys were tied off - cast iron vent
pipes!!  About the only thing I think we did right, in hindsight, was to
guy the 30 feet in the middle and at the top, which probably did some
good in mitigating both the strain on the tower and the pull on any
single guy wire. Whatever, it stayed up for about 7 years, until a
micro-burst with 90 MPH gusts came through, whereupon the whole works
fell down and wound up hanging over the side of the building by the
surviving guy wires and the feedline.  I was overseas at the time, so I
never saw the mess, but suspect it caused some excitement for the city
authorities. That may be why the club never put another antenna up there.

Pretty much everything I learned about guyed towers came from K7NV's web
site <http://k7nv.com/notebook/>, particularly
<http://k7nv.com/notebook/towerstudy/towerstudy1.html> on guyed tower
behavior, and I recommend anyone thinking about going anything other
than a cookbook configuration should have a look.  Douglas is an
engineer, so I doubt this will be challenging to him.

 From a non-engineer's, common sense point of view,  I think that
probably the downward pressure of the tower base on a concrete roof is
less of a problem than the tension that must be handled by whichever guy
anchor(s) happen to be upwind during a given storm.  3/16 EHS has a
breaking strength around 4000 pounds, and all of that tension will be
applied to the anchor point before the guy itself fails. 4-way guying
will distribute that load more evenly, and of course two layers of
guying would have the same benefit.

If I were doing this near the coast in Cuba, I also think think I'd
seriously consider having a tilt-over base fabricated, and using the
falling derrick method to lower the tower and antenna whenever storms
approach. Depending on the roof configuration, it might be possible to
tilt the tower over entirely, so that it lies (and is tied down) on the
roof, with the tribander half over the side when in this position

73, Pete N4ZR
Download the new N1MM Logger+ at
<http://N1MM.hamdocs.com>. Check
out the Reverse Beacon Network at