[TowerTalk] Array Solutions AS 8 SP

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Aug 27 23:26:26 EDT 2015

It's true a lot of little events will cause an MOV to eventually fail
shorted, except where it's on a line supplying power,  a  a direct hit,
or even a close strike.    In the case of the line supplying power, it
depends on how that line is protected.  A 50 A buss, or even 10 A buss
may clear the short in the time it takes the fuse to open. Except for a
really close strike or direct hit, signal lines such as position
indicators on rotators, the odds are far in favor of it failing
shorted.  A direct hit, or the induced voltages from a close strike will
likely open the MOV and take out from a few to many associated components.

It doesn't have to be lightening.  Motors, relays, arcing connections,
or anything that can cause voltage spikes may cause an MOV to fail.
It's the energy in the spike that does the damage.  As the MOV ages
while in service it takes less energy to do damage to the MOV.  The MOV
is really nothing more than many thousands of very tiny diodes.  Look up
their construction with a search. Years ago, GE had a very nice manual
devoted to the construction and use of MOVs.  It's still relevant today.
http://pml.nist.gov/spd-anthology/files/GEMOV_saga.pdf   I have or had
one of those first edition manual;s listed as a collector's item.  Hope
it didn't get thrown out,

73

Roger (K8RI)