[TowerTalk] Help with saw blade selection

David Robbins k1ttt at arrl.net
Sun Aug 30 13:10:11 EDT 2015

I've used a skilsaw on top of a tower to cut u-bolts... not easy to position
because of the guards and hard to avoid the plume of sparks.  I much prefer
the hand grinder.  Much smaller and easier to get in around stuff.

One warning if you have to cut u-bolts... it looks obvious to cut them from
the side where the straight section is away from the mast, avoid that
temptation.  The normal result of that is the one side parts and leaves the
long, now hook shaped piece, hanging on to the antenna but now with no way
to get it off except to cut the other side... but now with an antenna that
isn't firmly fastened down.  The best way I have found is to do all the
rigging so the weight is off the bolts and then cut them at the middle of
the U so they separate cleanly and let go of the mast or boom all at once.
That is usually the safer place to stand also as you aren't under the boom
or elements.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://k1ttt.net