[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Climbing mast

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 2 12:24:41 EST 2015

I made them myself, using a 6"x 10"x 3/16" steel plate drilled top and
bottom for two mast sized u-bolts, then 1/2 square steel bar bent into
an almost closed squared off "C".  The long straight part of the "C" is
18" long and welded to the bottom of the plate and the points to the top
of the plate.  Thus, it is impossible to slip off the ends of the steps
and the 1/2 square bar has good grip on the boot.  No worries about moss
or slime on the step.  With the u-bolts about 8" apart, the step has no
wobble.  The closed shape is a convenient tie point for fall protection
since a carabiner can't slip off.  Since the points of the "C" are
returned to the plate and welded, it is just about impossible for a
climber to bend the step.

Either a press or torch is used to bend the bar and after welding they
got hot dip galvanized.  Paul at custommetalworks.com told me this is
his design and his climbers were happy with what I made when they
climbed my 3" mast.   I don't see them on his web page, but they may be
available.

Grant KZ1W