[TowerTalk] Erecting tower sections solo

Big Don bigdon39 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 17:39:41 EST 2015

We erected 80' of Rohn 25 solo. First section was in the concrete base. We
used a hand-cranked boat winch, 1/8" steel cable, which attached to the
tower side tubes, with two u-bolts, anywhere desired on the tower, using a
home-brew bracket.  We would attach it foot or so below the bottom end of
the gin pole as positioned to raise the next section. SAFETY TIP: We did
*NOT* at any time depend on the stop mechanism in the winch to lock the
winch from rotating while working. We had a positive stop bar that swung
into place that would catch the winch handle from revolving, we usually
left the winch handle solidly against this bar so unplanned downward
movement was not possible.

Next section was cranked up to very slightly above the final elevation. It
will not be hanging straight, so one of the tube ends will be hanging below
the stubs of the previously-installed tower section to which it attaches.
By hand place that tube over a stub.then rotate the hanging section until
other two tubes are over their target stubs. Reverse the winch and lower
the hanging section slightly until about an inch of slack is in the cable.
Then you can tilt the hanging section a bit and engage the other two tubes.
Release the winch a few inches further and wiggle the tower section until
gravity brings it down where the bolt holes line up.....

Maybe this process sounds  a bit dicey but never had any trouble. As stated
above, this was for Rohn 25 - heavier tower models could be a problem for
one person. As always, you do want to check sections for proper fit at the
joints while pieces are still on the ground. We did have to straighten a
tube once...

We have also removed sections solo using a reverse of the above process.
Hook up the gin pole and winch.  Remove bolts, pull some stress on the
joint with the winch, wiggle loose section until it pops off. Ours always
came apart easily by wiggling, never needed one of those jacking
fixtures....

Good luck,
Don  N7EF