[TowerTalk] Erecting tower sections solo

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Wed Dec 2 17:45:04 EST 2015

Fortunately for me I've never needed to work solo, but if I did, I'd be
thinking along these lines (if the load is more than you can comfortably
handle with brute force):

Pull your load almost up to where you need it, tie it off.

Climb tower with a cable puller (come-along) and *rope grab*. A rope
grab is commonly used by tower climbers as part of a temporary fall
arrest system on towers with no permanent safety climb system. Of course
you will need a rope grab sized for your rope. In the safety industry
rope grabs are usually sized for 5/8" rope, but for this purpose will
work well on 1/2" rope. For 3/8" I believe there are various devices
(not necessarily from the safety industry) that will work, but not sure
where to find them.

At the tower top attach your rope grab to the *down* rope. Hook one end
of the come-along to the rope grab, the other end to a tower horizontal,
and click away to position the load.

-Steve K8LX