[TowerTalk] Erecting tower sections solo

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Dec 4 01:05:36 EST 2015

It bears repeating:
Tower climbing is dangerous! Even for those of us who did a lot of it.
At least several times a year, I read where a professional climber fell
even with the training and safety equipment.  Respect the safety rules
and respect the danger.

When I was climbing, up into my 60s, I could lift a section of 25G above
my head in each hand.  The hard part was keeping them balanced, but
there was no way, I could safely lift a single section and place it on
top of another section with out the aid of a gin pole. Even using a gin
pole, I had temporary wire guys in place on the next section. Those guys
were anchored and not removed until the next set of permanent guys were
in place.  One of the most dangerous actions was staying "up there" too
long to safely climb down.

I'm only 5'7" and tied off at the top of the tower, I could just reach
the balance point of the new section. To me, that was just too close to
my comfort zone limits.
A 6 footer would have more reach above the balance point.

At 60 I still could do a military press and bench press with 150# of
free weights, but I did weight training from my mid 40s until 60.  I'm
now 75 and after two strokes and one heart attack I'm lucky to lift and
carry 30# with my left hand from the garage to the shop.  My back
wouldn't support much more even if I could lift it..  Probably from all
that weight lifting in prior years <:-(

There are few hams capable of safely doing tower work even with the
proper equipment.  Doing it alone, but with someone serving as a safety
man is for practiced climbers, not for the ham who might climb his 40 or
50' tower once or twice a year.   One of the most difficult tower jobs I
had was getting a ham down from 60 feet on a 200 ft tower.  Thing is, I
had to pick up my equipment and then drive close to 60 miles to the
tower.   He was a much younger guy, but he had never climbed. He found
going up was easy until he looked down and froze.  At least it was
summer on a calm day so he didn't suffer from hypothermia, or a bad
sunburn. It took me about an hour and a half to get there after they
called.  It took me close to an hour to get him safely down thay 60
feet. How long he'd been there before that?  I don't know, but his arm
were almost rigid.  I'll bet he only got up the next day to take pain
pills.  I can only imagine how his arms and legs felt after being rigid
that long.  That and I'm truly thankful he didn't get higher before
looking down!

Go to a swap. Almost any ham swap. Most of the people there look like
they should even stay off short stepladders let alone climbing towers.
<LOL>

73

Roger  (K8RI)