[TowerTalk] Erecting tower sections solo

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Sat Dec 5 08:49:17 EST 2015

I knew it was inevitable this would turn into a safety and "don't do
that" discussion and almost didn't respond to the original question
for that reason. But I also realized there are some who, for
whatever reason, need to work solo. I have enjoyed this thread and
got a few new ideas from it.

I think there is a very strong tendency in this world for people to
assume everyone else's circumstances are similar to their own, or at
least to not be able to envision something substantially different.
That is unfortunate, but I suppose it's human nature. We understand
what we experience.

I live in a remote area with few hams. I have no family. Most of the
few hams we have here think the best/only way to haul up tower
sections is using a vehicle. To my way of thinking that is unsafe.
There is simply too much power for the job, and driving slowly on
uneven ground can be ripe with potential for unregulated movement
and unintended consequences. I don't want to be 100 feet up a tower
with a section dangling near me when an unexpected lurch happens. If
some are comfortable doing it this way, fine. I am not, so I don't.
Similarly, I won't be the driver for such a project.

Most people around here want to cut corners to save time. They don't
see safety issues with this. They want to rush into things without a
plan. Ask me how many antennas I have seen utterly destroyed by this
kind of thinking/action! Fortunately I haven't seen anyone hurt or
killed but I have seen some close calls. I have a reputation for
being undesirable to work with because I insist on having a plan,
sticking to it, checking and double checking things at each stage.

I am also a unique individual with my own set of challenges in life.
I find it stressful working as part of a team, especially when I am
the only one with knowledge of the project. The stress tends to
cloud my thinking and make me skip steps or forget to double check
things. That is not good in tower work.

Ultimately, I feel safer working alone than with a team. I am safety
minded and have absolutely no desire to be injured or killed.
However, if I die doing tower work, at least I will have died doing
something I love. I would rather that than look back at the end of a
long life wishing I had dared to pursue my dreams.

The bottom line for me is that I have a choice between putting up
towers and antennas solo or not having them at all. Since radio is a
very important aspect of my life (more so than for most, I wager) I
have chosen and will continue to choose doing the work solo. Some
may make the opposite choice in the same situation, and that is
fine. To each his/her own.

Many people take risks in pursuit of a great many activities. It
comes down to evaluating how important something is and the
alternatives, then making a choice. I believe one should be sure to
accept responsibility for the consequences of one's decisions, however.

73,
Paul N1BUG