[TowerTalk] Guying towers

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Dec 7 21:11:42 EST 2015

Always use a guy bracket!  This is a bracket, or brace that completely
encircles the tower.  Guys pull against the bracket, applying a uniform
force to the tower, rather than the asymmetrical pull from a guy
connected to only one leg. Connected to each leg at a level provides
forces, pulling against each other and out on the structure while the
bracket holds the tower inside itself.

Brackets can be annoying and must be custom made for one off construction.

Many, if not most of us have tied guys to a tower leg including me, but
not for a long time.  I wonder how many have never bothered to use the
included brackets on 25G?  45G?

How many have used guys larger than specified?  They may be stronger,
but they are likely to add considerable weight and down force to each
tower leg when properly tensioned.

I think by the time we get into the larger towers, we are probably
getting into an area where more hams are aware of the stresses and
ramifications.

Roger (K8RI)

---