[TowerTalk] Radial Connection to tower

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sun Dec 13 13:56:09 EST 2015

You can estimate 20 nH per inch for these hook up
wires. On 80 meters, think of that as as about
a half ohm of inductive reactance per inch,
or 6 ohms of inductive reactance per foot.
Thinking of it that way, you can see why a single
10 inch wire in series with your ground connection
isn't a great idea. You might try modeling it
and see if it rises to the "noticable" level.

I have a 230 foot diameter ground screen with
wires spaced 3 feet apart in each direction.
When I first completed this, I placed a 40
meter vertical at the center junction, such
that there were four wires emanating from the
shield of the coax connector. These 4 wires
run 3 feet until they reached the next junction,
etc. The driving impedance of this was
70 ohms, despite being over a gigantic ground
screen. After adding 30 foot radials to tie it into
the ground screen 30 feet away from the vertical,
the impedance steadily decreased with the
number of radials until it reached the
theoretical value of 36 ohms. This is the
kind of weird stuff that happens if you deviate
from the classical radial paradigm.

Rick N6RK