[TowerTalk] [Bulk] WTB Rohn 25G tower insulator

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Dec 15 15:22:08 EST 2015

I would agree that a G10 rod the od of the small end R25 id is pretty
"iffy".  However, you could add 1/2" thick (or thicker) G10 plate maybe
1" wide each side of the R25, with longer GR8 bolts thru the R25 legs.
Having an internal G10 rod to keep the legs round seems like a good
idea.  Since you apparently have a machining source I assume they have
carbide drills for getting the holes on size and with minimal tearout.
They could mill the plate for the step in od, it would fit better.

The 1996 R25 mechanical spec shows 8.3KIPS allowable tension per leg and
8.4KIPS compression (with 1/3 increase safety factor) so that should
help with real engineering of known G10 layups.  Another post
recommended the layup weave be 45 deg to the load, IMO good advice for a
bolted joint that probably can't be slip critical in this geometry (or
use a G10 structurally rated for bolts in shear).

Grant KZ1W