[TowerTalk] Shipping Costs and Industrial Distributors

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Dec 21 13:02:28 EST 2015

It's important to understand that the vendors that sell high quality
stuff at good prices are geared up to sell in quantity. They are what we
used to call "wholesale" vendors, meaning that they sell to others who
resell a few pieces at a time. If you want to do biz with them, buy
enough quantity to get  a good discount, either by stocking up your own
parts drawers or combining your needs with others in your ham clubs.
I've done that many times with parts like Amphenol 83-1SP (UHF
connectors), Switchcraft and Neutrik audio connectors, and ferrite parts.

When you do this, you save two ways. First, you get the quantity
discount, which is often 20-80% from what you would pay a retail vendor.
Second, shipping costs are divided between many pieces of whatever you
ordered. And, of course, you have also done a favor for your fellow hams
by getting them a price break on top quality stuff, as opposed to buying
junk from those rip-off vendors who advertise in QST and CQ.

My rules for avoiding problems. Buy from first quality vendors, get
quotes for the best price on the right part numbers. Ship to a single
location (your QTH) and distribute the parts at club meetings. Don't try
to re-ship -- it's a money and time sink, and with ferrites, it's a
recipe for breakage (they're brittle).

Most industrial vendors will take a credit card, which most vendors will
charge when they ship. This gives you time to figure out costs and
collect for the orders.

73, Jim K9YC