[TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Guying

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Dec 25 21:19:51 EST 2015

On Fri,12/25/2015 3:05 PM, Tom W1ALZ Nicholson wrote:
> Has anyone used trees as guy anchors for a 50' Rohn 25 tower?

My 120 ft Rohn 25 is surrounded by redwoods that 125-175 ft tall. The
tower is guyed at 30 ft, 60 ft, 90 ft, and 120 ft with carefully tension
3/16" EHS (except that the top guys are Phillystran for the first 30 ft
or so from the tower). Each wire is attached to a 6-in x 1/2-in lag into
a different tree within 3-4 ft (that is, 9 different trees). The lags
enter the trees at an upward angle of about 30 degrees.

I would not do that with lesser trees. :)

73, Jim K9YC