[TowerTalk] Attaching winch cable to Universal Tower

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Tue Dec 29 14:18:40 EST 2015

I have the same home brew design as you.  I use it on my Hy-Gain
Hy-Tower multi-band vertical (52 ft tall and mounted on a metal bld roof
peak.)  I don't leave the tubing with the winch, pulley, and cables
(winch cable and back strap) in place all the time as the tower is an
active antenna. Right now the raising fixture with pulley is threaded at
the bottom and screws into a threaded fitting mounted to the roof.

Everything about using it is easy except getting the threads started
when putting the fixture into place for use. Otherwise it works super
and it makes one man maint easy.  I will be replacing the threaded
connection with a few inches of tubing sized to "telescope" with the
vertical  tube of the fixture making assy and dis-assy dead simple.

I'm not a mechanical engineer but we have some on this reflector. If I
were concerned that the force concentration at the attachment points
might deform the tower legs I would reinforce the legs with aluminum
angle or C channel  for a couple feet at the attachment points to
distribute the load. Night not be needed, might be overkill, but it
shouldn't hurt anything even though redundant. (Except where fully found
lacking by competent authority such as a mech eng.) YMMV, Void where
prohibited by law, No warranty as to merchantability or fitness for any
specific purpose.

I wish you all the success with your project and a happy and prosperous
new year.

Patrick        NJ5G