[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Antenna to Shack Ground Connection

David Robbins k1ttt at arrl.net
Mon Feb 2 13:07:38 EST 2015

no, fusing current is not important for lightning since the total energy is actually relatively small compared to what is possible with a power line fault lasting several cycles needed for a breaker to operate.  Even though the peak current may be higher for lightning it is such a short event that it won't heat even relatively small wire enough to melt it.  remember lightning strokes are measured in microseconds... power fault currents for grounding purposes are specified in seconds, often 2-3 seconds depending on the distance to the protective device and it's settings.

also consider this, those top static lines above hv power lines that are designed to intercept lightning strokes are usually made out of something between 1/4" and 1/2" hs or ehs guy wire.  Newer installations are using a fiberoptic cable wrapped with essentially a single layer of steel similar to the outer layer of guy wire.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net