[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Antenna to Shack Ground Connection

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 2 22:57:23 EST 2015

On 2/2/15 10:15 AM, Mike Fahmie via TowerTalk wrote:
> Fortunately, wiring used in lightning protection does not have to carry sustained current so the thermal mass of the wire can be used as a thermal time constant to increase its carrying capacity.
> Using "Lightning and Lightning Protection", 1979 as my reference, the impulse carrying capacity of #6AWG copper wire is 200 KA for 300 microseconds, fusing at 300 KA in the same time.  The same text states that 99% of strikes are less than 60,000 amperes and with shorter durations.The Codes may require heavier wire, but it seems that 4 or 6 AWG is sufficient for most eventualities.
> -Mike-

you can look up the Preece or Onderdonk equations too..

Large diameter wire is required for mechanical reasons: it won't get
broken accidentally, or it's strong enough to resist physical damage
from electromagnetic forces.

a 10 turn coil of AWG10 about an inch in diameter explodes with a fast
10kA pulse (see "quarter shrinker")