[TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Feb 3 11:15:01 EST 2015

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 08:29:55 -0600
From: Chuck Dietz <w5prchuck at gmail.com>
To: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g at windstream.net>
Cc: "towertalk at contesting.com" <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna

If I were to put a Beverage above one of my barbed wire fences, I would put
it at 10 feet to, hopefully, minimize the effect of the fence on the
Beverage.

Chuck W5PR

###  IF his existing fence is say 6 feet high, I would put the beverage a lot higher  than 10
ft.   The ant book sez once u reach 10-14 feet above grnd, the  velocity factor flat lines,  and any
further increase doesn’t buy you very much.    Having said that, the beverage per W8JI
and others, say the max height is still .05 wavelength.....or  26.84 feet.

##  The idea here is to take advantage of that....and also get the beverage well above the
existing fence.   I would put the  beverage up at least 14 ft...so it’s a good 8 ft above the existing fence,
assuming the  existing fence is 6 ft tall.
How long do those pvc tubes come in...20 ft  ??    Use the entire length..and be done with it.
2-3 inch OD, sched  40 or sched 80, strapped to an existing 6 ft high fence post is not going anywhere.

##  It was also pointed out to me that  the wire could be attached to the  top of each pole...
prior to erecting each pole...then  strap each pole to the existing fence posts.
I think if the beverage was installed well above the fence, it should not degrade  the beverage.
Where u would get into trbl is if u installed it 9 ft above the grnd..... IE: 3 ft above the fence.

Jim   VE7RF