[TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Tue Feb 3 08:54:44 EST 2015

> I'm curious to know if the fence would act similar to good
> conductivity dirt WRT Beverage performance.

Anecdotal reports over the years (~ 30?) of Beverage antennas over
an existing conductive wire/fence indicates that performance lags
that over moderate earth.  The degradation comes from two apparent
modes: 1) the (typically larger) fence picks up noise and couples it
to the Beverage and 2) the the conductive nature of the fence upsets
the velocity factor (wave tilt) resulting in a shorter effective
length with lower signal strengths and broader patterns.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV