[TowerTalk] Dipole Center Insulator

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Mon Feb 9 13:20:31 EST 2015

There are some pretty stout insulators available intended for electric
fence construction.  They are found at places like Orchelns, Atwoods,
Tractor Supply, and other farm and ranch supply stores. Skip the small
plastic "egg" type if your dipole is to have much tension and opt for
the larger stronger plastic ones or the quite stout ceramic units.

There are ceramic insulators with built-in lag bolts.  You can mount
these back to back with the lags overlapping and weld the lags together
to get a very stout two hole insulator. These insulators are used for
stringing overhead electric utility wires and are stout.  Electrical
supply houses may have these with bolts instead of lags which lets you
just drill a couple holes in a piece of metal and bolt both insulators
to it. This gives a stout double hole insulator and is easy to attach a
lanyard around the bolt if you are wanting to support the center of the
dipole with a lanyard vice just line tension.

Patrick   NJ5G