[TowerTalk] Mosley Antenna Question

TexasRF--- via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Tue Feb 17 22:16:26 EST 2015

True, the loss is related to conductor resistance. But, in a given size 50
ohm cable, such as the .405" diameter sizes, RG213, LMR400, 9913 etc., the
dielectric constant dictates the center conductor size.

The low density foam dielectrics require a much larger center conductor to
maintain a 50 ohm impedance and the lower losses are a result.

So, indirectly the dielectric does contribute to the loss in a given size
cable.

I agree, 7/8" Heliax type cable is wonderful stuff. There must be millions
of feet in surplus these days.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 2/17/2015 8:38:06 P.M. Central Standard Time,
jim at audiosystemsgroup.com writes:

On  Tue,2/17/2015 1:30 PM, Ed Sawyer wrote:
> I can tell you one reason to  spec RG213 over LMR400 to feed your Mosley
> tribander, or any other  tribander for that matter.

There are some misconceptions here that are  the result of advertising.
Loss below about 500 MHz is entirely due to the  resistance of the
conductors at the frequency of interest. The dielectric  does not
contribute to loss below that frequency unless it's wet, and if  it's
been wet, the braid is probably degraded, increasing copper loss.  :)

If you really want low loss, use hard line. I'm feeding my SteppIR  with
350 ft of 7/8-in. :)

73, Jim  K9YC

TowerTalk  mailing  list
TowerTalk at contesting.com