[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Coax cable economics. (was Mosley Antenna Question)

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Feb 19 01:47:35 EST 2015

How often can the difference between the following even be detected? It
is after all, only o.5 db.  1 db can just barely be detected under ideal
conditions.    If this is the standard 9913, I either gave away, or
threw out nearly 1500 feet of nearly new 9913.

LMR400  0.7 dB
RG213   1.2 dB
9913    0.7 dB

73

Roger (K8RI)

On 2/18/2015 11:51 PM, Larry Loen wrote:
> Not if the "savvy ham" can't hear them!
>
> The point of low loss coax is to hear them.  How much added money is worth
> how many more marginal contacts?  That's the question to be answered here.
> FWIW, coax is one place I have never scrimped.  It's true you might only
> get a dB or two, for a fair amount of added cost.  But on some paths,
> that's the difference between working 'em and hearing others do it.

---