[TowerTalk] Coax cable economics. (was Mosley

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 19 09:39:23 EST 2015

On 2/19/15 5:15 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
> Will someone please explain why what I'm about to write is not true (if
> that is the case.)  I'm trying to follow the "debate" regarding coax
> losses and their effects on transmit and receive.
>
> The receiver has an inherent internal noise floor which can be
> qualitatively observed by shorting the input coax fitting and cranking
> the RF and AF gain up.  If the signal portion within the "signal +
> noise" coming through the coax to the rcvr goes sufficiently low it will
> be irretrievably lost in the receiver's internal noise irrespective of
> other considerations.  Coax losses on receive could in some weak signal
> situations attenuate the signal sufficiently to reduce it below the rcvr
> internal noise and make it unrecoverable.

Often true on VHF and higher..
However, on HF and lower, the atmospheric and environmental noise
sources are often 10-20 dB higher than the receiver noise. For HF
receivers, a 10 dB input Noise Figure is quite good, most are in the
15-25 dB range.

Looking at the noise powers:
The kTB noise (what you get from a good load at 290K) is -174 dBm/Hz.
If the Rx noise figure is 10dB, then the noise power at the receiver
input is 10dB more: -164 dBm/Hz.

Let's ignore atmospheric noise for a minute..
What this means is that if you have a signal at -160 dBm, it will be 4
dB above the noise floor(in a 1 Hz bandwidth).  If you add in 5 dB of
coax loss, now your -160dBm signal is -165 dBm, and it's -1dB SNR.

(note that you can consider the coax as part of the receiver, and move
the measurement plane to "the antenna", so now the noise figure is 15
dB, instead of 10dB.  The SNR works out the same.. Signal at -160dBm,
Noise Floor of receiver+coax is -159 dBm/Hz.. -1 dB SNR in 1 Hz BW)

So coax loss, where the noise floor of the receiver is low makes a
difference... But with atmospheric noise that is 20-30 dB above the
receiver noise floor:
-164dBm/Hz -> receiver noise
-144 dBm/Hz -> atmospheric noise

If your signal is at -160dBm, no change in the coax loss will help..
you're under the -144, which is essentially *at* the antenna.  Better
coax increases the level of your desired signal and also increases the
level of the noise.  It's like using a low noise preamp.

The only way to solve the problem is to "get a better antenna".. most
atmospheric noise is directional to a certain degree, and if you're
lucky, the noise is coming from a different direction than your desired
signal.  OTOH, if you're on the west coast trying to work a station in
Missouri in the middle of the afternoon in summertime.. the station in
MO is in the middle of the noise generator<grin>, and no clever antenna
scheme will work