[TowerTalk] Hygain to OWA

Ed Sawyer sawyered at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 19 13:10:35 EST 2015

Answers to questions below:

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 04:32:56 -0800

From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom at telus.net>

To: <towertalk at contesting.com>

Subject: [TowerTalk] Hygain to OWA

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 06:15:29 -0500

From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered at earthlink.net>

To: <towertalk at contesting.com>

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hygain to OWA

###  Did u put a wattmeter at the top of the 80 foot tower, and see how much

power u have there,  with say exactly 100w applied in the shack ?

Answer, no but I did measure the cable losses by disconnecting the antennas
and measuring the return loss with my MFJ Meter and they were identical to
0.1dB.  They are connected off of the same Stack Match and both have 60 ft
of LMR400 to the antenna from the box.

## How many db per S unit on your xcvr on 10M ?  My yaesu is like 4.5 to 5
db between S8 and S9.... but drops way off below that, like 2 db per S unit.
Shut the agc off in the RX, and then back the RF gain way down.  Then the
differences in audio level, between the two ants is easily measured with any
audio test gear.

Answer: I am not sure.  I have not calibrated my S Meter.  I usually use S
Meter readings to see if there is measurable difference between antennas and
stack combinations and then look to HFTA to see if its correlating with the
results.  I don't trust the S Meter as a specific dB measure just a relative
one.  Which is why I used the S Unit as my comparison.

Jim  VE7RF