[TowerTalk] Mosley.. A bill of goods.

Doug Renwick ve5ra at sasktel.net
Fri Feb 20 14:56:31 EST 2015

I think everyone knows that the Mosley gain figures on some of their
antennas are incorrect.  But let's go back many years when all antenna
manufacturers were inflating their gain numbers.  Back then we didn't know
about gain as we do today and we all relied on those numbers in choosing an
antenna.  Just look back at some of those antenna ads with ridiculous
numbers.  In order to stay competitive, all had to play the 'gain game'.
Yes Mosley needs to correct their gain numbers.

I don't really care what manufactures say in their brochures.  Part of it is
salesmanship.  What is important is hands on experience.  Quality of
workmanship, ease of assembly, ease of installation, durability, some gain,
customer service, cost, delivery and so on.

Regarding your friends TA33 Jr.  I have a different first hand experience.
My first and only installed Mosley beam many years ago was a TA33 Jr.  I ran
over the rated 500w, 1200pep trap rating using a SB-220 and never harmed the
traps.  That TA33 Jr replaced a triband Gem Quad that was a bitch to tune
back then.  The TA33 Jr was so much easier to tune, and install than the
Quad.

I would be interested in seeing a comparison between the TA33 and A3 trap
short boom antennas on all three bands.  We should know that these antennas
will not perform as well as a 204BA on 20m.  IMO they are not that bad on
10/15m.  A lot of improvements have taken place since some of these antennas
appeared in the market years ago.

Doug

I wasn't born in Saskatchewan, but I got here as soon as I could.