[TowerTalk] Lowering HDX 589

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Feb 24 12:26:17 EST 2015

On 2/24/2015 6:01 AM, Mike Ryan wrote:
> A buddy uses a 3000lb rated worm gear winch. I forget the brand but it
> is junk.  I just email him and asked him to send the pics he took of it
> last weekend. It is only about 6 months old, is rusting badly, and
> appears that the pin that holds the gear from the handle to the worm
> gear is about to fall out.  Don't recall the brand but is is made in
> Mexico.
> -Mike

Before my present "boat lift" raising winch, I used a Fulton KW3000
worm gear winch.  It worked sort of OK if thoroughly greased, but had
a lot of friction and got hot.  It did not have a rusting problem,
but after of couple of years, it started making squeeling noises
and I had to get rid of it.

Rick N6RK