[TowerTalk] Mosley Antenna Question

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Feb 24 12:45:56 EST 2015

On Mon,2/23/2015 11:34 PM, Jim Thomson wrote:
> another method that works superb is to shut OFF the  RX agc at the RX end.  Then back down the
> RF gain a whole bunch.   Then apply the rx audio to standard audio test gear, or telco test gear.

The K3 can be set to provide an audio voltmeter calibrated in dB, where
the dB reference is set to some arbitrary value that is the average of
the last 10-15 seconds of received audio. I've used this many times to
measure the relative strength of signals.

BUT -- there's far more to this method. Thanks to signal fading, and to
the arrival of signals from many elevations, MANY comparisons must be
made and averaged to get meaningful data. Ditto for using the RBN.

73, Jim K9YC