[TowerTalk] Long shank U-Bolts

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Sat Jan 3 12:50:56 EST 2015

Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 19:56:37 -0600
From: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra at sasktel.net>
To: "'Roger \(K8RI\) on TT'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net>,
<towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Long shank U-Bolts

Using 2 saddle clamps as you describe is a good idea. I use that to
support/clamp masts on top of a thrust bearing.

Doug

##  You can get the cast AL saddle clamps from Dx engineering, but they
require backing plates for each saddle.   You could also use the CNC machined
AL saddle clamps from M2....or JK ants.

##  back in the 70s, U bolts were not long enough to use on my .375 inch thick
boom to mast plate, so I used saddles on each side of the mast...+ threaded rod.
Even with 4 of em on a 2 inch mast, they still slipped.  Typ saddles, like used on
muffler clamp, are like parallel razor blades.  So useless for that application.

##  fast forward to 2015.  DX eng makes superb SS U clamps..with solid AL saddles.
Thread is plenty long enough to easily handle .375 inch thick AL plate, including
flatwashers,  split ring lockwashers..and also nuts.

Jim  VE7RF